Sunday, November 07, 2010

House Proud

Ok, so not long ago I posted about the 1950’s woman and my attempt to emulate her “house proud” lifestyle.  I promised to keep you updated and so here I am ...trying not to boast :D
 I haven’t been perfect and my house is not shiny by anyone’s standards but I’m doing better!  My house is now consistently “visitor clean” 3 out of 7 days a week. By that I mean that if a visitor knocked on my door without warning on one of those days – I wouldn’t be embarrassed about the state the house was in! On those days the dishes are done and the floor is vacuumed. On the other days the house is generally tidier than it would have been before but I’d still be wincing inside if someone saw it.
I’ve also done a lot better with “hubby”.  I complain about my day (usually about whatever stopped me from getting things done) a lot less and surprisingly it’s had an unexpected bonus.....when I do complain now – he listens more!  We still have trouble keeping the house quiet when he comes home – but he he’s absolutely loving the coming home greetings. The kids even love doing it!
I do better with my appearance and feel better for it. I still have days (especially when I’m PMS’ing or when I was flu-ey) when I just can’t work up the effort to do more than be “not shameful”.  I’m particularly proud of my makeup. I bought a kewl brush set and I’m learning how to use it – so there is a difference between my 3 makeup stages now (excluding none at all; Mascara, concealer & lippy aka basic day wear.  Day wear plus & VIP occasion.)  Hubby has noticed and he makes a point of saying how much he likes it and is proud of my efforts.
When the weather is nice the kids are getting some outside time but the exercise on other days is not happening as much as I’d like. But then again – exercise isn’t one of my favourite things either.  :P  Travis has been given a couple of chores and he’s doing ok with them. He seems pleased to have them and loves it when we say thank you for doing them –  but it’s very hit and miss as to whether it gets done.
 I’m working towards my goals every day and I’m slowly getting there.  Getting slowly better with every week that goes by is pretty good if you ask me.  I’m proud of the progress I’ve made.
In taking my “don’t sweat the small stuff” advice, I try to no longer focus on the things I haven’t accomplished during the day and focus on what I have done.  So the most important thing I think I’ve accomplished – is feeling better about myself and making those around me feel just a little bit happier for it too! 

No comments: